Letting Go and Letting God.....

"If you really want to make God Laugh, plan your life" -Mother Theresa

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Plate Wall

The work here is finally done! Actually it has been for quite awhile, I guess I have just got caught up in Life and haven't posted in quite some time. I guess the next post should be the updated pictures of all the repairs... um, I'll get right on that:)

In the meantime I've been thinking about accessorizing all my new spaces. I have gone back and forth on the dining room wall. I have thought about doing several small things, shelves, a big piece of art or possible an old door. I finally deciding after seeing many good blog posts that I wanted to hang white plates in there.

I had several of the white plates to begin with, but then I hit the jackpot while stopping in at one of my favorite thrift stores last week. I bought an entire box of mix match ironstone for $1.50- what a bargain! I've always kept my eyes open for ironstone- so I was thrilled when I found so many pieces in one location and for such a great deal!! happy times:)

OK- so I started with butcher paper taped up on the wall. I decided to use a template to avoid extra nail holes. Since all the new paint jobs I've been having a hard time putting holes in my pretty new walls!


I then marked the middle and also put a mark at the highest point I would want a plate and the lowest point....

Then I took down the paper and put it on the floor and began arranging the plates and platters in the order and design I wished.

After I was done with that I turned over the plates and traced them in the spots I had chosen. I primarily did this by eye- I didn't do much measuring....




Once that was finished I took paperclips, reshaped them and hot glued them on the back of the plates to make hooks. I used ribbon for some of the bigger platters - so I wouldn't have to use 2 paperclips and measure for two nails- that could get tricky.
Once they all had hooks and the glue dried, I measured where the nail would need to be and marked each plate tracing with a dot.
Then I put the paper back on the wall and put a hole through the paper (slightly hammering in a nail) where a nail would need to be. I then took off the paper and hammered nails in all the holes. Then I hung the plates, using the template as a guide....
Here is how it turned out!





I really like it! I hope to add some plates as time continues on... Hopefully I will find some of varying shapes and sizes..... Hope you enjoyed the tute:)

Stay tuned for some more accessorizing posts!



2 comments:

  1. I love it! And great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have white plates on the wall in our living room and love it, too! Your wall looks absolutely gorgeous!!

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete